Table of Contents
Studies have shown in recent years, many advantages of fish oil or omega-3. as it is found in abundance in fatty fish and it is an unsaturated fatty acid, and nutritionists are advised to be careful to take it for its many benefits.
Omega-3 fatty acids are an important nutrient, and people get them through foods and supplements. The body is unable to produce it on its own, so let us know in what comes everything related to omega-3.
What is omega-3?
Omega-3 is a fatty acid found abundantly in fish, and it is the substance responsible for the production of many substances, that maintain the balance of many vital processes in the body, such as:
- Blood pressure
- body temperature
- infections and pain
- blood clotting
Also, omega-3 is one of the very important supplements for children and infants, due to the important role. it plays in the proper development of the brain from the embryonic stage in the womb.
and it has an equally important role in children with learning difficulties, concentration disorders, and even behavioral disorders.
Types of omega-3s
What many do not know is that there are two types of omega-3
- animal type
- vegetable type
- Its main source is fish fat, some marine algae, cod liver oil and egg yolks.
- Doctors recommend eating fish twice a week, as it is a rich source of protein, without the saturated fats found in both meat and poultry.
- The best types of fish that are available in omega-3 are mackerel, salmon, tuna and sardines.
- It is a vegetable omega-3 acid. It is found in flaxseed or linseed oil, in soybeans, and in tofu.
Among the most prominent benefits of omega-3 are the following:
- 1- Promote heart health
- 2- Reducing triglyceride levels
- 3- Reducing the risk of premature labor
- 4- Contribute to fighting depression
- 5- Helping to treat infections
- 6- Promote brain health
- 7- it’s important for children
- 8- it’s importance to hair and nails
- 9- Omega-3 for the elderly
- 1- Promote heart health:
Numerous research has proven that increasing the consumption of fish oil, a source of omega-3, may reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. And reduce the risk of heart failure, and lead to a lower death rate.
It also positively affects the function of the heart’s endothelium, which reduces the risk of ventricular fibrillation.
- 2- Reducing triglyceride levels:
Omega-3s protect against hardening of the arteries, because it reduces the amounts of triglycerides.
It was found that treatment with a dose ranging between 3 and 4 grams of fish oil per day reduced the level of triglycerides by an average of 30%.
- 3- Reducing the risk of premature labor:
Research has shown that pregnant women who were at risk of preterm labor and were treated with a dose of 2.7 grams of fish oil per day experienced less preterm labor.
It should also be noted that lack of omega-3 consumption during pregnancy causes a deficiency of DHA in a pregnant woman, which may increase the likelihood of developing postpartum depression.
- 4- Contribute to fighting depression:
Several studies have shown the relationship between omega-3 consumption and depression, showing that:
- The more fish and fish products are consumed, the lower the rate of depression.
- The higher the omega-3 consumption, the lower the incidence of postpartum depression and behavioral disorders among women.
- 5- Helping to treat infections:
The effectiveness of omega-3 fatty acid in the prevention and treatment of several diseases has been proven. as several studies have indicated the main role that omega-3 plays in some cases of inflammation, as it contributes to the following:
- Relieving symptoms of lung infections, such as: asthma.
- Improving the condition of patients suffering from arthritis.
- Preventing the production of inflammatory-stimulating compounds, and reducing the symptoms of joint inflammation, pain and stiffness during the morning hours.
- 6- Promote brain health:
Regularly providing the body with enough omega-3s is important for maintaining and protecting the brain during life.
Reducing decline of cognitive, mental and thinking abilities with age. As the level of omega-3 in the brain cells begins to decrease with age, which leads to an increased risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. so it is recommended to add it to the diet always for its health necessity.
- 7-it’s importance to children:
It is very important for children, as it works to eliminate linguistic learning difficulties, maintains the child’s cognitive health, the health of the brain, increases the level of perception and understanding in children and works on the growth of neurons in the brain.
- 8- it’s importance to hair and nails:
To preserve the beauty of the hair, and for more health, vitality and luster, as well as strengthening it and preventing its loss, it is necessary to commit to consuming omega-3 from its main source at least twice a week.
As for the skin and complexion, it is very useful and important, as it moisturizes the skin, does not dry it out.
it makes the skin fresh and works to reduce the harmful effects of the sun and protect the skin from wrinkles.
- 9- Omega-3 for the elderly:
With age, various symptoms appear, such as joint stiffness and joint pain, and also increased inflammation.
But with omega-3 intake, it works to treat arthritis, and significantly reduce joint stiffness and inflammation.
Benefits of omega-3s for overall health
When mentioning the advantages of omega-3 on health in general, studies have shown that there are many general benefits.
we can summarize the importance of its benefits in a short phrase “that it improves the capabilities of the body in everything.”
Such as :
- It reduces the risk of heart attacks.
- Reduces the risk of stroke.
- Reduces the level of triglycerides in the blood.
- Helps regularize heartbeat.
- Works to reduce blood pressure.
- It reduces the risk of developing atherosclerosis.
- It treats infections.
- Reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood.
Omega-3 fatty acid is found in many foods, most notably the following:
- Fish, especially salmon, tuna and sardines.
- Vegetable oils such as: flaxseed oil and soybean oil.
- Fortified foods such as: some eggs, yogurt, juices and milk.
It should also be noted that the acid concentration in fish is affected by the following factors:
- The quality of her food.
- Its growth and life area, such as: fish breeding facilities, or its natural environment such as seas and rivers.
- The part of the fish’s body that is eaten.
- Hunting season.
Risks of omega-3 deficiency
Omega-3 deficiency causes many problems, including the following:
- Problems with hair, nails and skin.
- Feeling tired, and trouble sleeping.
- Lack of focus and attention.
- Joint pain, foot cramping.
- Disturbances in the menstrual cycle in women.
Are there side effects of omega-3 and is it safe ?
Omega-3s are considered very safe, as they have impressive benefits. There are 100% no side effects of omega-3s as long as the individual does not exceed the ideal daily dose.
Some people who take omega-3 pills may suffer from a bitter taste and burping, lack of sleep, increased activity, bloating, vomiting or nausea.
but the most dangerous side effect is that high doses may affect the body’s ability to clot the blood, where, “it increases the risk of bleeding if Take an extra dose. ”
Therefore, whoever has a problem of this kind must be careful and when take aspirin with it, It must be under medical supervision.
Pregnant women should avoid it, especially in the first months, unless by consulting the attending physician, because it may cause deformities to the fetus.
When and how to take omega-3?
You should take omega-3 pills with meals, not preferably on an empty stomach.
If you take more than one capsule per day, doctors do not recommend taking them together, but it is preferable to distribute them throughout the day. That is, eat one for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for dinner, and so on.
In the end, it can be said that omega-3 has many benefits, and it can be obtained in nutrition.
Remember that it has some disadvantages and you should consult your doctor before taking it.
Do not stop practicing a healthy lifestyle, even if you eat omega-3s, there is no substitute for a healthy lifestyle.