herbal and alternative medicine
We heard about new therapeutic trends such as complementary, herbal and alternative medicine.
through diagnostic methods, as well as therapeutic methods that help with traditional medicine and herbal medicine in treating some cases.
Such as treatment using different aromas and natural herbs, in addition to many complementary medicine methods.
that have not been included in the medical education systems , and have not been adopted by the medical community for cultural, social, scientific or material considerations.
What are these types of medicine? This is what we will get to know.
- Herbs have appeared since ancient times. as the Greeks, Romans, China, and India invented different herbs and created herbal remedies for different diseases.
- Where herbs were used in ancient times to manufacture various types of medicines and to treat many chronic diseases.
- herbs play a role in preventing and treating many diseases. and herbs were also used to add distinctive flavors to food.
- Today herbs are still used to add flavor to food and are used as drinks. Moreover, it is used as healthy nutritional supplements in alternative medicine for various conditions and diseases. as it works to promote health and prevent diseases.
- Herbs are also used in cosmetics, dyes and aromatherapy. Many people are aware of the health benefits of herbs and trust the healing power of their use.
2)– Medicinal herbs, herbal medicine , traditional medicine and alternative medicine
a) Medicinal herbs
- are plant parts where all parts of the plant are used without exception. The stem, roots, leaves, fruits, and seeds are used.
- They are sometimes extracted from the ground or extracted or prepared in another way.
b)- herbal medicine
- It is the treatment or mitigation of some diseases and health problems and their complications by using natural medicinal herbs.
- they are used for their medicinal benefits and have curative properties for various diseases.
- as well as in preserving the health of humans and animals. The biggest advantage of herbs is that they are a 100% natural remedy.
- Herbs are an essential ingredient in Chinese medicine, homeopathy, naturopathy, Amerindian medicine and more.
- Herbs can be added to drinks (such as tea extracts) or food. It can also be consumed in the form of powders, capsules, extracts, fats, oils and more.
c)- traditional medicine
- It is the practice of medicine by an academic doctor who has a degree in medicine, which includes all disciplines and categories of practice. Nursing practitioners, specialists, doctors, and all specialties.
- In the United States of America, interest in this type of treatment with these regimens. especially for treating chronic diseases, is increasing.
- These treatments, often referred to as complementary or alternative medicine. range from medicinal herbs to acupuncture to massage. Most of them have not been scientifically studied. and nearly all are unorganized.
d)- complementary medicine
- Is used with traditional medicine, meaning that it complements it, and an example of complementary medicine.
- we find that complementary medicine uses aromatherapy (fragrance) to relieve the patient’s pain after surgery.
e)- alternative medicine
- The place of traditional medicine uses any alternative to it. The example of alternative medicine is that alternative medicine in it uses a specific diet for treating cancer instead of surgery, radiation or chemotherapy, which is recommended by traditional medicine.
- The most common alternative treatment is nutritional supplements. which include medicinal herbs and nutrients.
- As a result of the widespread use of nutritional supplements. the United States government passed the Dietary Supplements Safety and Education Act (DSHEA) in 1994.
- A nutritional supplement
is defined as any product (including tobacco) that contains a vitamin, mineral, herb, or amino acid. and is intended as a natural food supplement.
- The law recommends that a nutritional supplement label contain information in this way.
- The label should indicate that the information about the nutritional supplement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- The label must include all ingredients by name, quantity, and total weight. and must identify the botanical parts from which each ingredient is derived.
- Most of the nutritional supplements used in alternative medicine are extracted from plants, and some are extracted from animals.
- Some people assume that these nutritional supplements are safe to use because they are natural.
- However, it is not necessary that the substance be safe to use just, because it is natural. all substances that affect the body.
- whether they are dietary supplements or drugs, must be approved for medical use by the FDA.
Benefits of herbal medicine
- 1- A person can eat it through his diet, without the need to take medications.
- 2- It is considered one of the treatments free from any chemicals, so it is free from any side effects.
- 3- Many health problems are treated without the need for any surgical intervention. and the most important of these problems are liver diseases, diabetes and digestive disorders.
- 4- Most of the available natural medicinal herbs are inexpensive plants. that everyone can obtain. Easy to use and everyone can handle and eat it regularly.
- 5- Herbal medicine treats health problems without any surgical interventions. Herbs can be used to treat more than one problem at the same time.
- 6- It is reliable in the manufacture of many medicines.
- 7- It can be associated with other types of treatment, such as acupuncture.
Some types of medicinal herbs
It is one of the perennial herbs with a pleasant aroma. It is placed with salads and mahshi and in green and red tea. whether it is fresh or sweet, and it can also be drunk alone.
It is used from the outside by making a pomegranate of mint (a mint leaf with the pulp of white bread and vinegar).
it is used to relieve nerve pain and its method is to put a gauze bag filled, with a mixture made after heating it over the site of pain.
Calms digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome. and helps expel intestinal gases and relieve nausea, diuretic.
Drinking mint decoction helps relieve stomach pain, lower abdominal pain, and menstrual pain.
The body gains energy and vitality.
It improves the appetite of people who are underweight.
Peppermint is good for heart patients, eases breathing and treats coughs.
- Green tea:
It is a type of tea that is low in oxidation. and has many benefits for the body. and it is used as a stimulant and tonic for the body.
- Milk thistle:
It is a plant from the sunflower family and is used in the medical fields. where its seeds are used to obtain the active substance (silymarin), which is necessary in the treatment of liver diseases.
It is a plant with white flowers characterized by its fragrant aroma. and it is used to treat some digestive disorders, treat some respiratory tract infections and digestive disorders.
It is a small seed, but it has great benefits. as it is used as a sedative, tonic for digestion, and a diuretic.
A plant that has a strong taste and strong aroma. and is used as a sedative for the stomach, in the treatment of gout, and in the expansion of blood vessels.
It is a substance with a red-orange color. and is characterized by its distinct smell and taste. It is used as a sedative and tonic for the central nervous system.
It is a plant widely used in the medical field. especially in Chinese medicine, where it is used as a natural antibiotic and tonic for the body.
Caraway is used in many areas, and it has many benefits, including:
It helps in the digestion of food.
Good sedative for children.
A lactogen for women in the first days of labor.
Used in making pies and cakes.
Anise is a popular herb since ancient times and has many uses, including:
It works to treat liver infections.
It treats sore throats. Removing phlegm from the throat.
Helps treat stomach bloating. Facilitate births.
It is used for food purposes by adding it to cakes and various sweets.
It is found in abundance in natural areas, and it has many benefits, including:
It works to strengthen the muscles.
Use as a tooth whitener.
It strengthens memory.
Reduces excessive sweating.
Protection of the body from cancerous diseases.