Food is medicine
Almost all of us have heard of the term “food is medicine,” but how many of you actually understand the term?.
According to research, food is the main cause of death, so how can the phrase food as medicine be justified.
Well, food can nourish your body, or it can spoil you from the inside, it all depends on how you use food. You can clash with the worlds of medicine and nutrition by eating the right kind of food the right way. Here is a program for using food as medicine for a healthy life.
food medicine program
- (1) – Eat more plants and whole foods.
- (2)- Include more herbs in your cooking.
- (3)- Understand that we are all biochemically unique.
- (4) – Develop conscious eating habits.
- (5) Do not become intolerant of food.
- (6) – Use foods instead of nutritional supplements.
- (7) – Select anti-inflammatory food choices.
- (8) – Paying attention to food choices and preparing it for healthy eating.
- (9) – Include foods made from healthy animals.
- (10) – Combine your nutritional plan with a program to reduce stress.
- (11) – Develop basic culinary skills.
- (12) – Find a dietitian near you.
- (13) – Eat until you reach 80% of satiety, and now let’s explain each point in detail.
13 ways to use food as medicine
(1). Eat more plants and whole foods as a daily program:
- Plant-based foods provide us with more nutrients, fewer calories, and an array of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Nothing can beat the quality of pure, natural and unrefined food.
- Research has proven that eating a diet rich in plants, especially whole grains, reduces the risk of many deadly diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and obesity.
- It is best to eat food that is closest to its natural form, and for this you need to add more vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds to your diet.
(2). Include more herbs in your cooking:
- Instead of using salt or sauce, try adding herbs to your meals. They give your food a unique flavor, delicious aroma and are very healthy.
- Research has proven that natural herbs and spices can prevent various diseases due to their antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.
- On the other hand, excess salt and sauces (most of them are rich in salt and high in calories); It increases your risk of heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure, so choose wisely which direction you want to go.
- You can get dry herbs at any store, or grow them in your home garden to enjoy the freshest, organic herbs.
food is medicine coalition
(3). Understand that we are all biochemically unique:
- We are all unique, and so are our nutritional needs. We all have different metabolic needs; Even identical twins aren’t alike in this perspective, so it’s not wise to mimic someone’s diet and expect your body to react the same way.
- According to the Institute for Nutrition Research, 55 percent of women can produce choline from estrogen, while the other 44 percent cannot do so, which is not the case with choline alone.
- Everyone has different nutritional requirements, so it is essential to determine your body’s needs, and seek professional help to find out your deficiencies and nutritional requirements.
(4). Develop conscious eating habits:
- Even eating healthy food can cause a problem, it is essential to understand that not every human body functions similarly. Some substances may benefit the general public, but may be harmful to you.
- It all depends on your ability to digest, age, illness, food intolerance, and lifestyle. There is no universal diet that suits everyone.
- Let’s see an example: Broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables, it is full of vitamins, minerals and fiber, but if you are a kidney patient, it may not be suitable for you due to its high potassium content.
- Keep a close eye on what your body needs, and how it reacts when given certain foods to adopt conscious eating habits.
(5). Don’t become a food fanatic:
- Eating healthy is tangible, but do you feel guilty even if you deviate a little from your diet?, Do you judge people based on their diet? If the answer is yes, then you should stop.
- There is no need to go to extremes, all of this will make you cranky, depressed, and upset your digestion. Try to eat healthy, forgive yourself for deviating a bit, and keep learning about healthy eating.
food as medicine everyday
(6). Use foods instead of supplements:
- To prevent chronic disease, supplements cannot replace food. They certainly address the nutritional gap, but still eating healthy is paramount.
- Nutrients from their natural sources are often easier to absorb, and give more benefits due to their complex formulations, unlike pills or supplements.
- In addition to food that tastes better, fills your stomach, and is inexpensive, why not meet your needs by eating a healthy diet.
- According to research, supplementation is beneficial in some circumstances, but it is not suitable for people who are optimally nourished; Instead, the focus should be more on a healthy diet.
(7). Select Anti-Inflammatory Food Options:
- Many major diseases such as cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and arthritis are linked to chronic inflammation.
- And anti-inflammatory drugs are the medications, most commonly used worldwide. The need for such medicines today is higher than ever because our diets, lack essential nutrients.
- Foods such as berries, oranges, fatty fish, spinach, kale, almonds, and olive oil. ; It has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Several scientific studies support the role of certain foods in disease prevention, due to their anti-inflammatory properties.
- So it all depends on you, choose the right type of food, and you can reduce your risk of getting sick, while constantly choosing the wrong type will speed up the inflammatory process.
whole life nutrition
(8). Pay attention to food choices and prepare them for healthy eating:
- You have to look at what you put in your cart, how you prepare the food, and the time you eat it; It’s a really complete process, but it’s worth it.
- It is possible to turn healthy food items into unhealthy ones; It all depends on your method of preparation. Try steaming and boiling for maximum benefits.
food as medicine recipes
(9). Include foods made from healthy animals:
- If you are a meat lover, research where the meat you eat comes from. There is no doubt that it is full of proteins, vitamins and other essential compounds.
- But if you want to get the maximum benefits, healthy animal meat is required. Meat varies in quality and nutrients, it all depends on the condition of the animal.
(10). Combine your nutritional plan with a stress-reducing program
- If you’re stressed, your body won’t be able to get the most out of food, no matter how healthy you eat.
- Stress and depression can affect the absorption of nutrients from foods. Focus on stress management techniques, and engage in activities such as yoga and jogging.
(11). Develop basic culinary skills:
- you don’t have to be an excellent chef; It is enough to learn some basic cooking skills to prepare healthy meals for yourself, instead of buying fast food.
- So start preparing meals on your own, it’s the best way to eat healthy, on a budget. And believe me, cooking is not difficult at all, everyone can cook it.
(12). Find a dietitian near you
- It is understood that taking medications, for life-threatening situations. But for problems that can be resolved, once the diet is improved, taking medication is not a wise decision.
- Remember that pharmaceutical drugs are not natural, and they have side effects.
- Find a dietitian near you, discuss your problems and believe me, most of you won’t need any medication after a proper non-drug treatment.
(13). Eat until you reach 80% satiety:
- Hara Hachi bu is a Japanese term that means eating until you are 80% satiated.
- Everything is good in moderation, and even the healthiest can become toxic if consumed more than required.
- Eat slowly and focus on your food while eating, so you can know when to stop eating. Also, remember, you should feel satisfied after meals.
- Healthy eating is the first aid for your body, it prevents diseases and ensures good health for you.
- In the event of a life-threatening condition, it is advised to seek medical help and take medications with a healthy diet to heal your body.
- Make this program a part of your life, or try as much as possible to follow it for the sake of your health, for health is an irreplaceable thing.
2 thoughts on “food is medicine program”