There are many concepts of distance education , but they all agree that distance education depends on two foundations :
- 1) – Multimedia (printed or electronic) .
- 2) – The existence of spatial boundaries separating the teacher from the learner .
Distance education, or what is known as ” Distance Learning or Internet-Based Learning “, it means the use of means of communication and modern technology , in the transfer of science and knowledge from its original sources.
that is according to where they are found in the world , to other places , and where these sciences are not available .
- Where it is possible to receive different information from the source , with the same speed and time of execution of the lecture, which is known as ” real time application “.
- In addition , this type of education allows the transmission of live , or recorded lectures with high efficiency and quality .
- Distance education is also known as online education , distance education can be accessed all over the world .
- Students with access to a computer and an Internet connection can obtain a degree online , choosing from a range of modules , and educational programs , that suit their lifestyle .
- It is an educational process in which all or most of the teaching , is conducted in a place far from the location and time of the learner .
- The important point is that most of the communication between teachers and learners takes place through specific media , regardless of whether , it is electronic media or electronic media printing? .
- We also find the definition of the American Distance Education Association , as :
” process of acquiring knowledge and skills , by means of a medium for the transfer of education and information . this includes all types of technology , and different forms of learning for distance learning “.
- The idea of distance education appeared at the end of the seventies of the current century, by European and American universities.
- Where it sent educational programs to students by mail , and at that time , it was represented by books , tape recorders , and videos . To provide a full explanation about the educational curricula .
- The students would integrate with this educational style , and abide by the duties and duties entrusted to them . However , universities require their students to come to campus on the date of the final exams .
traditional education vs online education essay
- Distance education is a renewal approach to formal , traditional education , based on the use of communication media .
- It is due to its origins in correspondence education , because it is an educational system that depends on self-education .
- It is concerned with providing teaching materials on the basis of the distance , between the parties to the educational process . Which was derived from the theory of the American sociologist and education “John Dewey 1859 AD”.
- Distance education is an active process because it challenges the learner’s ability to own , manage and arrange educational work .
- For some learners who are starting learning for the first time , this can be a daunting task , making it difficult to control the time and control of this teaching .
- Distance education should be interactive and collaborative , and the media is enabled for learners to interact with the course content , with the trainer or with other learners in the course .
- Distance education is distinguished from traditional education in that it keeps pace with modern-day technology in education . such as the use of television , the Internet , and satellites , in the process of transmitting information .
- As for traditional education , it depends on the traditional culture , which focuses on producing knowledge , and the teacher is the basis of the learning process .
- Where the educational content is presented to the student , in the form of a printed book , containing written texts , even if some pictures are added to that and lack of technical accuracy .
- Traditional education depends on memorization , and focuses on the cognitive side of the learner at the expense of other aspects.
- The emphasis is on preserving information at the expense of the growth of his skills , values and trends .
- In the cognitive aspect , it neglects the skills of problem identification , solving and critical and creative thinking , and methods of obtaining knowledge .
types of distance education
Distance education is divided into two main types :
- 1) – Synchronous delivery , in which information and knowledge are transferred between the lecturer and the student in the current real time .
- 2) – Asynchronous delivery or “asynchronous delivery”, whereby the lecturer transmits various information and knowledge , and records them via video so that the student can view it at a later time .
distance education stages
The UNESCO report for the year 2002 AD referred to the historical sequence of distance education , as it passed through four stages , namely :
The first stage :
- With the end of the nineteenth century , correspondence systems appeared , and are still widespread in many developing countries .
- These systems rely on printed resources , and accompanying instructions that may contain audiovisual media . And the postal mail becomes the method of communication between the student and the teacher .
The second stage :
- Various technologies such as television , radio , satellites , and satellite stations are used as a way to achieve communication , and to provide live or recorded lectures .
The third stage :
- Multimedia , including e-books , audio , video , and computer materials , and open universities often use these means .
The fourth stage :
- Systems based on the Internet , and educational materials include multimedia and equipped in an electronic way that is transmitted to individuals , by means of a computer . With easy access to electronic databases and libraries .
- Through these systems , it is possible to achieve interaction between the teacher and the learner , and between the learner and his colleagues .
- Either in a synchronized way through chat rooms and video conferencing , or asynchronously using e-mail and chat forums .
distance learning elements
- Distance learning requires the availability of the Internet to communicate over the Internet .
- it also needs to track the presence of students or learners in everything related to educational materials . through a dedicated software site according to an appropriate mechanism .
- It is easy to understand and take advantage of additionally , direct and indirect discussions can also be held .
- Ultimately , the teacher must be responsible for overseeing , assessing and awarding the student’s performance .
Technologies required in distance education
- A) – Audio educational aids , which include interactive communication techniques by phone , Through group voice communication . There is also another type of non-interactive audio , such as recording tapes .
- B) – Audio-visual material , which includes films, videotapes , and video conferences .
- C) – Satellite television broadcasting , which helps educate an increasing number of students .
- D) – Internet technology , characterized by no limits and low cost .
Conditions for the success of distance education
There are a set of tips to help you create ideal , distance education conditions and enjoy a good learning experience :
- 1) – Start early
- 2) – Get rid of sources of distraction
- 3) – create a clutter-free scheme
- 4) – Merge background sound
- 5) – Giving online learners a break
- 6) – Using images for inspiration and motivation
- 7) – Developing a culture that supports distance education
- 8) – Organizational program development
- 1) – Start early :
People who choose distance education , tend to feel a little uncomfortable . if they are not fully aware of how to organize time . Thus , they must start learning early , before engaging in fast food and applications .
- 2) – Get rid of sources of distraction :
There can be many sources of distraction , such as external noise preventing the online learner from actively participating .
- 3) – create a clutter-free scheme :
The design of the distance learning course has a significant impact , due to the e-learning environment .
Because the layout is for a stacked course that features an abundance of images , colors , and long text . Being able can increase stress and confuse online learners .
On the other hand , an organized planner can make online learners feel comfortable , and allow them to focus on the required task , and when completing any special educational content you can plan on it in a different color .
- 4) – Merge background sound :
The background musician can help inspire remote learners , create a specific mood for them , and contribute to building an emotional relationship with the subject .
especially if the learners are hearing , It is important to choose the right musician .
- 5) – Giving online learners a break :
Online learners need time to manipulate the information , in a distance education course .
For this reason , you should give them periodic breaks , so that they retain the information better .
Some learners may consider taking a little away from the course and engaging in different activities , which contributes to a positive and supportive learning environment .
- 6) – Using images for inspiration and motivation :
Pictures have the power to convey a variety of emotions and feelings , which is why we choose images carefully .
You can choose an inspirational and motivational image that features a positive image .
- 7) – Developing a culture that supports distance education :
One of the most effective methods for teachers in distance education , and creating a positive electronic environment .
Everyone in your audience should feel like , they are an important part . and it’s the supportive learning culture that keeps them online learners for life .
8) – Organizational program development :
It gives them the help they need , by creating Internet forums , or a page on social media .
Where they can gather online , to discuss topics, address their concerns , and most importantly , emphasize the importance of distance education .
Principles of distance education
- 1) – principle of uniqueness of education
- 2) – principle of controlling the learner to the process of learning
- 3) – Principle of continuing education
- 4) – Self-learning principle
- 5) – principle of education democracy
- 1) – principle of uniqueness of education :
That is , the educational process must be designed in a way that matches the individual’s aptitudes , abilities , tendencies , directions , and speed of learning .
- 2) – principle of controlling the learner to the process of learning :
That is, the learner accepts the learning process, with self-motivation and a real desire to learn.
- 3) – Principle of continuing education :
That is , education is a lifelong process . A person may wish to develop himself professionally , scientifically or culturally . He must be given the opportunity to do so , anytime and anywhere .
- 4) – Self-learning principle :
That is , the learner learns on his own , often by himself .
- 5) – principle of education democracy :
Meaning that education is a right for every member of society, regardless of his color, gender, race, religion, circumstances and age.
distance education in light of the Corona pandemic
- Distance education is used by European and American universities , to attract the largest number of students .
- it became an exception to formal education for many different reasons . Especially what we are experiencing these days after the outbreak of the “Covid-19” pandemic, the emerging corona virus .
- Which set off from the Chinese city of Wuhan , and claimed many lives all over the world . This prompted countries to find solutions and alternatives for many areas affected by this dreaded epidemic .
- because it is the first time that such a disaster occurred , which affected the field of education in particular in the recent era . So it replaced that with this type of education to compensate for the damage it had suffered .
- For distance education patterns that evolve and succeed generation after generation , with the development of the means of information transmission used . This is the fourth generation of remote education modes .
- It has the best specifications for communication technologies used for distance education. So it is not new , but what is new is the electronic concept of distance education, in light of the Corona pandemic.
- Will distance education be an effective and pioneering success in light of the outbreak of this pandemic? , And reforming what happened in these dark conditions in all countries of the world? .
Benefits of distance learning
- 1) – Distance education helps to meet school challenges , increasing the percentage of student absenteeism and school dropout .
- 2) – Contributes to reducing the waste of resources , and provides a system for accurate monitoring of students’ progress .
- 3) – Distance education develops students’ skills in independent learning, and self-learning and provides them with personal skills.
- 4) – Distance education develops communication skills , and facilitates the process of communication , with all those concerned with student learning .
- 5) – Distance education has established an advanced educational system , which corresponds to the rapid development in the world .
- 6) – Looking ahead in the era of the digital age , in order to address crises with digital intelligence .
- 7) – It benefits students in a useful , fun , fast and easy-to-absorb dose .
- 8) – Helps discover students’ digital prowess , in early childhood.
- 9) – Ensures the delivery of information to the learner in the shortest time , the least effort and the greatest benefit .
- 10) – Make students more interested in using new technologies in education .
Advantages of distance education
- 1) – Distance education plays an effective role in raising the cultural , scientific and social levels among individuals .
- 2) – Fills the big shortage of teaching staff , and qualified trained hands in various fields .
- 3) – It alleviates the weakness of the capabilities that some universities suffer from .
- 4) – It reduces individual differences between trainees , by placing various educational resources in the hands of the learner .
- In addition to providing full support to the training institutions , with everything they need to produce an effective education in terms of educational media and technologies .
- 5) – Opening horizons for career advancement for those who missed the regular train of education among the employees . This enables him to study and work at the same time .
- 6) – Saves time and effort .
- 7) – The learner is motivated to acquire the greatest amount of skills , and educational attainment . given that the educational process focuses only on the academic content , without looking to any other aspects .
- 8) – It helps the individual to rely on himself completely , by choosing the sources from which he can derive his information on his own , without influence from others .
- 9) – Convenient distance learning advantages , as it is suitable for all individuals , whether a lecturer or a student .
- 10) – Flexibility , represented by providing the space and options for the learner according to his desire to participate .
- 11) – It has the advantage of leaving the learner with more influence , and effectiveness than the traditional education system , with the techniques he uses .
disadvantages of distance education
- 1) – The high cost of joining it .
- 2) – The lack of acceptance of this type of education by societies .
- 3) – With regard to the ability to provide job opportunities , this type of education is not trusted .
- 4) – Some departments of higher education in Arab countries lack recognition of distance education .
- 5) – The lack of an interactive and attractive study environment , which increases students’ response in this type of education .
- 6) – The educational material is limited to the theoretical part , most of the curriculum . And the summary of living experiences , and the benefit they achieve for the student .
- 7) – learner’s stress due to the amount of time , he spends on smartphones and other things to follow his various academic subjects .
- 8) – The teacher’s role is limited to the educational aspect in most cases , and his valuable educational role and in the upbringing of students is reduced .
- 9) – The student’s inability to continuously evaluate his performance , and achievement , a role that was assigned to the teacher in the real educational environment .
1 thought on “distance education requirements”